Lea Waters, PhD
Lea Waters, PhD is a professor, published author, psychologist, internationally-celebrated speaker and one of the world’s leading experts on Positive Education, Positive Organizations and Strength-Based Parenting and Teaching.
Positive Psychology Expert & Educator
Professor Waters is the Founding Director and Inaugural Gerry Higgins Chair in Positive Psychology at the Centre for Positive Psychology, University of Melbourne where she has held an academic position for more than 23 years. Lea holds affiliate positions at Cambridge University and the University of Michigan and serves on the Scientific Board at Berkeley University’s Greater Good Science Center. Lea is the 2017-2019 President of the International Positive Psychology Association, serves on the Council of Happiness and Education for the World Happiness Council, is the Patron of Flourishing Education Japan and Ambassador for the Positive Education Schools Association. She is a registered psychologist (AHPRA) and a full member of the Australian Psychological Society
Researcher & Author
As a researcher, she has published over 100 scientific articles and book chapters. Her book, The Strength Switch: How The New Science of Strength-Based Parenting Can Help Your Child and Your Teen to Flourish, was the top release on Amazon in the parenting category, was listed as one of the top reads for 2017 by Berkeley University’s Greater Good Center and was listed in the Top Five Books on Happiness for Children in the UK’s Top Five site. It has been translated into Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Hungarian, Arabic, Russian, French, and Spanish.
Awards & Honors
In 2015, Professor Waters was listed as one of Australia’s Top 100 Women of Influence by the Financial Review and Westpac Bank. She has been listed in the Marques ‘Who’s Who in the World’ since 2009 and was included in the 2017 edition of Who's Who of Australian Women.
Accolades & Awards
Lea was inducted as a Fellow of the International Positive Psychology Association and is the only Australian to be inducted (2015). She was named the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management Educator of the Year (2004), received an Australian University Individual Teaching Excellence Award from (2007), was awarded the Teaching Excellence Award by the Melbourne Graduate School of Education (2011) and received a team Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning from the Australian Government’s Office for Teaching and Learning (2013).
Lea's goal is to help people thrive
Lea's Bulleted Bio
- President of the International Positive Psychology Association (IPPA)
- Professor and Founding Director of Positive Psychology Centre, the University of Melbourne.
- Inaugural Gerry Higgins Chair in Positive Psychology, University of Melbourne.
- Registered psychologist (AHPRA), full member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS) and full member of the College of Organisational Psychologist (APS).
- University of Michigan, Faculty Affiliate of the Center for Positive Organizations.
- Cambridge University, Faculty Affiliate of the Well-being Institute.
- University of California, Berkeley, Science Board member of the Greater Good Science Center
- South Australian Medical Health Research Institute, Advisory Board member.
- TEDx speaker
- Ambassador for the Positive Education Schools Association (PESA)
- Westpac 100 Women of Influence winner 2015
- Featured in ABC's Revolution School documentary
- Co-director of Positive Detective
- Author of "The Strength Switch"
- Creator of the Strength Switch online parenting course
- Founding Director of Visible Wellbeing